• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 blahmcblah

blahmcblah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 07:03 PM

So I tend to get a lot of my dueling against people who have this particular tag, since I'm not a big fan of PVP in any MMO game, this tag gives me an excuse to participate in it here. It gives me a chance to get  either get diamonds (always welcome), better gear (usually welcome), or at the very least something to sell in order to get more notes to buy more energy & skill points. 

My question is: has anyone figured out why particular characters get these tags? My hypothesis is that it's based on the total skill points one player has over another with the level difference between the two characters acting as a modifier. So if you're level 100 & have a total of 10k in skill points between gear/boosters/etc in all 4 skills, and your opponent is lvl 100 also but has 11k in skill points - they would likely have the tag. So what if they're lvl 110 and have only the same 10k in skill points as you? Is the tag still applied to them for you?

Not sure if this question has already been asked & answered anywhere before, because I couldn't even think of anything to search in order to check this. 

#2 Guest_dparadise_*

Guest_dparadise_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2018 - 07:53 PM

Hi Blahmcblah,

Actually indeed, this tag is for anyone. Basically it shows this is a tough opponent for you, you have a viable chance to lose the fight, so the reward of winning is higher. I generally don't look for the tag of this, but I know it's out there. A tougher opponent is one that can have even 2 skillpoints over you. They are basically stronger. But you can 'skill' yourself to defeat them, or refine your gear to beat them. In this equasion of someone being stronger, refinements are out of the equasion, so it's purely based on the skill points. 

As an example, an opponent can skill themselves all strength and stamina, and they last long in fights and hit hard. But if you are skilled on Charisma and Finesse, you will critical hit them for a lot of damage, and the finesse will help you dodge their hard punches. 

Basically, I believe doing pvp duels is always rewarding. Exactly for the reasons you stated. 

#3 blahmcblah

blahmcblah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 08:35 PM

See I would agree with it being based solely on skill points, except for the fact that I've seen the tag on players who (by the comparison you get when you mouseover the attack button) are actually lower in skill levels. It's VERY rare when it happens to be sure, but it does happen. The thing that I've noticed is that it usually is still only a few points, BUT since I've started to pay attention to this the few times I've seen this I've tried looking for any patterns and the only one I've seen so far is that they're of a higher level. 

I guess what I'm asking is: as a mod here is that an official statement from devs, or your own (pretty accurate by the vast majority of what I've seen also) observations? You're absolutely right that duels ARE rewarding, I'm just trying to maximize those rewards - get the best bang for my buck (no pun intended). I've seen the example you mention as far as inequality between the different skill levels between strength, stamina, charisma, and finesse (that's actually my and a majority of the higher tier fighters, strategy), but I'm looking more at the TOTAL skill points from one fighter vs. another one, because while 99% of the time I would agree with your statement that your opponent having the higher total would mean you get the tag - that's not ALWAYS the case from my experience. (This could be something that was tweaked by updates at any point as well.) 

#4 mountbara

mountbara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • World:US2
  • Character:Mountbara
  • Studio:Angels on US2 Busty Spiderbabes on NU French Touch on UK2

Posted 16 October 2018 - 09:27 PM

Any opponent in which you gain glory points gives you a chance to gain items diamonds or increased notes. It has nothing to do with their skill points. And it only takes a +1 increase for the increased chance. I hope this helps.

So I tend to get a lot of my dueling against people who have this particular tag, since I'm not a big fan of PVP in any MMO game, this tag gives me an excuse to participate in it here. It gives me a chance to get  either get diamonds (always welcome), better gear (usually welcome), or at the very least something to sell in order to get more notes to buy more energy & skill points. 

My question is: has anyone figured out why particular characters get these tags? My hypothesis is that it's based on the total skill points one player has over another with the level difference between the two characters acting as a modifier. So if you're level 100 & have a total of 10k in skill points between gear/boosters/etc in all 4 skills, and your opponent is lvl 100 also but has 11k in skill points - they would likely have the tag. So what if they're lvl 110 and have only the same 10k in skill points as you? Is the tag still applied to them for you?

Not sure if this question has already been asked & answered anywhere before, because I couldn't even think of anything to search in order to check this. 

#5 blahmcblah

blahmcblah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 10:14 PM

Any opponent in which you gain glory points gives you a chance to gain items diamonds or increased notes. It has nothing to do with their skill points. And it only takes a +1 increase for the increased chance. I hope this helps.

Now THAT I haven't checked. I'm gonna look into that.

• mountbara likes this

#6 mountbara

mountbara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 10:37 PM

I thought I had this covered in the tips section, I'll check later and make sure. It's good reading, if you haven't seen it yet.

https://forum.us.big...nd-hidden-gems/

Now THAT I haven't checked. I'm gonna look into that.

Edited by mountbara, 16 October 2018 - 10:39 PM.

#7 CaptC

CaptC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationHouston near my Baby
  • World:NU1
  • Character:CaptC
  • Studio:Member emeritus of Busty Spiderbabes

Posted 17 October 2018 - 04:59 AM

I haven't ever seen the 'you have an increased chance at diamonds and items' tag go to anyone who did not have more total skill points than my avatar. I love beating players with that tag, using superior refinements and skill curve. I believe it is worth taking duel losses to get the extra rewards when you do win. Especially since glory standings are not very interesting to me. I have to lose two duels and some glory to get one really good chance at a duel epic? Sign me up!

I would need to see a screenshot to believe that tag is given otherwise.

It's not that I think you are lying, BlahMcBlah - it's just not something I have ever seen, and I do not believe (because of the usually unbelievably bad pairings on the duel screen) that there is any sort of sophisticated algorithm that the game uses to determine who can beat who.

Occam's razor implies it's real simple. More skill points seems the obvious answer.

I am open to being proven wrong.

(This is not me speaking from knowledge of the code... that's just me as a fairly experienced player.)

Edited by CaptC, 17 October 2018 - 05:02 AM.

I have retired from the game, but not from life.
In love with my Baby.

#8 mountbara

mountbara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 02:00 PM

Yes but even if they have more skill points than you, you get nothing if you do not gain glory points, which is what I was saying.

I haven't ever seen the 'you have an increased chance at diamonds and items' tag go to anyone who did not have more total skill points than my avatar. I love beating players with that tag, using superior refinements and skill curve. I believe it is worth taking duel losses to get the extra rewards when you do win. Especially since glory standings are not very interesting to me. I have to lose two duels and some glory to get one really good chance at a duel epic? Sign me up!

It's not that I think you are lying, BlahMcBlah - it's just not something I have ever seen, and I do not believe (because of the usually unbelievably bad pairings on the duel screen) that there is any sort of sophisticated algorithm that the game uses to determine who can beat who.

Occam's razor implies it's real simple. More skill points seems the obvious answer.

(This is not me speaking from knowledge of the code... that's just me as a fairly experienced player.)

#9 CaptC

CaptC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 02:41 PM

Oh, well, yes. You have to win the duel to get the rewards.

In love with my Baby.

#10 blahmcblah

blahmcblah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 03:52 PM

I get it. I thought the same thing. And like I said it's VERY rare, but it DOES happen. (It's also usually pretty close too, but TBH I was more curious about HOW it worked than the actual practicality in it.)

Edited by blahmcblah, 17 October 2018 - 03:55 PM.

#11 mountbara

mountbara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 03:56 PM

Not just win the duel, you must actually gain glory. No duel that you get zero glory gives you anything other than  a very small amount of notes. Unless you are getting things from them and I am not?

Oh, well, yes. You have to win the duel to get the rewards.

#12 CaptC

CaptC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 04:02 PM

Mountbara, I don't take zero point duels, so I cannot speak to that. I have plenty of opponents that give me points, I don't have enough courage to get to players with no glory at all.

But I certainly believe you are correct, farming 0 glory newbs should not be rewarded.

I get it. I thought the same thing. And like I said it's VERY rare, but it DOES happen. (It's also usually pretty close too, but TBH I was more curious about HOW it worked than the actual practicality in it.)

That screenshot proves my point. You have 7 fewer points, and Jackhammer does NOT have the tag for increased diamonds and items.

Edited by CaptC, 17 October 2018 - 04:07 PM.

In love with my Baby.

#13 blahmcblah

blahmcblah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 04:49 PM

Mountbara, I don't take zero point duels, so I cannot speak to that. I have plenty of opponents that give me points, I don't have enough courage to get to players with no glory at all.

But I certainly believe you are correct, farming 0 glory newbs should not be rewarded.

That screenshot proves my point. You have 7 fewer points, and Jackhammer does NOT have the tag for increased diamonds and items.

What I was saying is if it's based SOLELY on skill points then: 
anyone who's got MORE points than you should ALWAYS have the tag.
anyone who's got LESS points than you should NEVER have the tag. 
It wouldn't matter if it were 1, 10, 100, or 1,000 points. 

That's why I'm thinking that Mountbara might be onto something about it having to do with glory (Sorry I haven't gotten a chance to read it yet!), unless there's another factor like level that acts as a modifier to skill points. But I agree with you insofar as dueling for an extra chance at gear. Honestly I really don't care about glory. But the chance to get free stuff? Gimmie. ^_^

#14 blahmcblah

blahmcblah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 06:03 PM

Also I found one going the other way too (They have LESS points than me & DO have the tag)

So yeah, not related to skill points solely I think it's safe to say.

And to Mountbara: I read the link you posted and yeah, you DO have a CHANCE at getting items/diamonds from any battle where you get glory, but I don't think that's what the TAG is associated with, since in the two examples I gave, the one with the higher glory DOESN'T have the tag & the one with the lower glory DOES.

You still have a CHANCE to get items/diamonds in either one, but the tag is supposed to make it a better chance. Again, I'm not really looking to game the mechanic or anything practical with it. I'm just kinda curious about HOW it works, not how can I make it work for me.

Edited by blahmcblah, 17 October 2018 - 06:20 PM.

#15 mountbara

mountbara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 08:07 PM

I have never, ever, gotten anything from a duel in which I did not gain glory. Over 45000 duels on 3 servers. I think the tag is just to indicate they have more sp, it means nothing in the way of game mechanics. If anyone has ever gotten an item in a duel in which they did not gain glory, I would be interested in hearing about it.

Also I found one going the other way too (They have LESS points than me & DO have the tag)

So yeah, not related to skill points solely I think it's safe to say.

And to Mountbara: I read the link you posted and yeah, you DO have a CHANCE at getting items/diamonds from any battle where you get glory, but I don't think that's what the TAG is associated with, since in the two examples I gave, the one with the higher glory DOESN'T have the tag & the one with the lower glory DOES.

You still have a CHANCE to get items/diamonds in either one, but the tag is supposed to make it a better chance. Again, I'm not really looking to game the mechanic or anything practical with it. I'm just kinda curious about HOW it works, not how can I make it work for me.

Edited by mountbara, 17 October 2018 - 08:08 PM.

#16 CaptC

CaptC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 08:39 PM

Now that is a surprise to me. Interesting.

In love with my Baby.

#17 blahmcblah

blahmcblah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 09:09 PM

I have never, ever, gotten anything from a duel in which I did not gain glory. Over 45000 duels on 3 servers. I think the tag is just to indicate they have more sp, it means nothing in the way of game mechanics. If anyone has ever gotten an item in a duel in which they did not gain glory, I would be interested in hearing about it.

I'm not saying that you WOULD gain anything from a duel where you didn't get at least glory. See, when they do the coding for this there HAS to be some numerical/mathematical guidelines that they use to pick which opponents get that tag and therefore get the bonus chance to get more items/diamonds. It doesn't just pick who gets those completely randomly. I just like figuring out patterns, so I was curious what those guidelines are. 

#18 mountbara

mountbara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 11:07 AM

I wish you luck on figuring it out. Maybe it's simply someone within a specific range of points from you?

#19 Tabithia

Tabithia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Character:Tabithia
  • Studio:Sin Goddesses

Posted 01 February 2019 - 12:35 PM

The advantage of being a newbie is that you can find old topics and find info and offer personal insight.

As for the OP about the increased diamond tag I can't really see a pattern, not that I have looked hard in to it.

I do however feel star level is least important in a duel.  And TOTAL skill points tends to be misleading.  You can be negative total, but significantly higher in one (usually finesse or charisma) and still win easily.  Refinements tend to hold the most weight.

Glory gained/lost is solely dependent on opponent's glory level.

4kjbEmU.pngSig by QuTiPy

#20 mountbara

mountbara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 06:07 PM

I understand why I have never seen this before. You only see it if dueling from the dueling tab. Since I have, from the very beginning, recognized that to climb the list effectively it's best to do the rankings so you can carefully select your opponents, I would have never seen this. I hope you figure it out!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dueling, napkin math, rewards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users